Did You Know that a banana gives an instant, sustained, and substantial boost of energy?
They do and bananas have healthy benefits for a lot of diets.
- If you are allergic to bananas and banana products please do not add this food item into your diet. Always speak with a healthcare professional prior to making changes in diets. Thank you.
Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose, and glucose combined with fiber. And research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
How much potassium is in a banana? (4)
We are often asked ‘how much potassium is in a banana?’ Well, the average Chiquita banana contains about 422 mg of potassium (a little less than ½ a gram), making bananas a potassium superfruit—that’s 13% of the daily-recommended amount of potassium from only one Chiquita banana!
And did you know that the potassium in bananas stimulates your muscles, nerves and brain cells, and as a bonus, can also help reduce blood pressure and risk of stroke.
Get the Potassium You Need – Recommended Amounts per Age Group
With all of the incredible benefits of potassium in bananas, it’s no wonder the Chiquita banana is one of the first solid foods new moms feed their babies. The Food and Nutrition Center of the Institute of Medicine has recommended the following potassium amounts per day for infants, children and adults.
(1 banana = 0.422g of potassium)
|Potassium for Infants:|
|0-6 months:||0.4 grams a day (g/day)|
|7-12 months:||0.7 g/day|
|Potassium for Children and Adolescents:|
|1-3 years:||3.0 g/day|
|4-8 years:||3.8 g/day|
|9-13 years:||4.5 g/day|
|14-18 years:||4.7 g/day|
|Potassium for Adults:|
|Age 19 and older:||4.7 g/day|
Quick Protein Powder Banana Smoothie Recipe
Here’s a simple and delicious way to add protein to fresh fruit and juice.
- 2 whole Bananas, sliced
- Add protein powder of choice, and for a smoother version add 3 oz. non fat , low sugar, Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup chilled Pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup of soy or coconut, or rice or *if not allergic to nuts – cashew or almond – milk.
Instructions for quick Protein Power Chiquita Banana Smoothie Recipe
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately or place in a freezer safe container and freeze to make a frozen treat.
Eating bananas can also help prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions when added to the daily diet.
- Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so help in cases of anemia.
- Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood, and generally make you feel happier. (2)
- Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body. When suffering from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- High Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat high blood pressure. So much so, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit’s ability to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. (3)
- Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
- Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins, which help calm the nervous system.
- PMS: The vitamin B6 that bananas contain regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
- Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain, and regulates your body’s water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack. (2)
- Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40% (1)