SAVE LIVES: Clean YOUR Hands global annual campaign kicks off on May 5th.
As the World Health Organization shared in their newsletter; “Being “campaign active” is an important part of improving hand hygiene and Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) in health care.”
“Health facilities should always be places of healing. No one should get sick while seeking care. Achieving universal health coverage means quality care for everyone, everywhere. And quality care is clean care. We all have a part to play; hand hygiene is one of the most basic elements of infection prevention and control.” Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, advocacy video (https://youtu.be/nw9TMfqc3cE).
The following WHO campaign resources are now available on the 5 May 2019 web page (https://www.who.int/infection-prevention/campaigns/clean-hands/5may2019/en/)
Visit the WHO website to gain access to the resources available and being “campaign active” to share the high levels of the importance of this life-saving intervention across the globe.
Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP) – GARDP is a non-profit research and development organization initiated by WHO and the Drugs for Neglected Disease initiative, that addresses global public health needs by developing and delivering new or improved antibiotic treatments, while endeavouring to ensure their sustainable access. GARDP recently launched the COHERENCE (COmbination tHERapy to treat sepsis due to carbapenem-resistant Gram negative bacteria in adult and paediatric population: EvideNCE and common practice) project. As a first activity, COHERENCE launched a survey assessing the prescription habits and attitudes of clinicians who normally deal with the treatment of carbapenem-resistant Gram negative bacteria in adult and paediatric populations worldwide. Please promote the survey and participate here (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GARDP-COHERENCE)! By completing the survey, you will have a chance to win a complimentary registration for the 2020 ECCMID Congress in Paris.
News from stakeholders:
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
In support of 5 May hand hygiene campaign activities, ECDC will be promoting reports and materials including:
• a short video on the importance of clean hands (ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbx5ZZYNxzg)
– Antibiotic resistance – an increasing threat to human health (https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/antibiotic-resistance-increasing-threat-human-health)
– Healthcare-associated infections – a threat to patient safety in Europe (https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/healthcare-associated-infections-threat-patient-safety-europe)
• Highlights of the PPS published on Euro-surveillance:
– Antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals: results from the second point prevalence survey of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use, 2016-2017 (https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.23.46.1800393).
– Antimicrobial use in European long-term care facilities: results from the third point prevalence survey of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use, 2016-2017 (https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2018.23.46.1800394).
– Prevalence of healthcare-associated infections, estimated incidence, and composite antimicrobial resistance index in acute care hospitals and long-term care facilities: results from two European point prevalence surveys, 2016-2017 (https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2018.23.46.1800516).
Resources: World Health Organization